Birthday Cards Only - CAS

Stocking up birthday cards for the year?

I've been sick this week with a cold, and haven't been up to working much or posting the two classes I prepared for just before getting sick. I'm not 100% yet, but on the mend and feeling well enough to post the net two March classes I prepared for.

After a few requests for teaching a class that had only birthdays cards, I also decided it was a good time to create as many as we could to help stockpile, and therefore the cards have to be CAS cards so that they can easily be mass produced for the participants should they choose to make a batch of them for the year at home, or as card set gifts.

It wasn't until I was editing the photos that it slowly began to creep into my head that a couple of these cards may not have been my own idea. You know how you see so many cards online and with the passing of time when the idea pops into your mind you at first think it was your own. If anyone has seen cards similar to these, let me know so I can give credit where due. I just have this feeling that a couple of them aren't my own idea after all.

On to the cards. Here are the five that we will be making in class.


So let's take a closer look at each of the cards, shall we.


Not long ago I taught a class with scrapbooking layouts that had 1/4" borders around the edge (here to view) and when I saw all the strips I had in my scrap bins I remembered the nice touch those narrow borders were. I thought, OK, I can cut these strips into 1/4" strips to use up some the scraps, but what can I do with them? Then I remembered some Christmas paper that had diagonal stripes  and how fun and striking it was. So this is what I did. Since I used a dark or navy blue I thought it would be fun to compliment the blue with some bright and fun colours. The leafy flourish and buttons are dies from My Favorite Things Die-namics.

Next -


I wanted to make a card that was generic and could be for either a man or a woman. I had an ulterior motive for this card as I made it with my oldest son in mind. His birthday isn't until the beginning of July, but my younger son whose birthday is in March wouldn't be able to get this card in time for his birthday as the time won't allow me to mail it in time to him once the class is completed. So I'm making him a different card, not for a class.

I love black and gray together. The gray is dry embossed using Spellbinder's M-Bossabilities Flora, and the black Fleur De Lis at the top and bottom of the monogram is from Spellbinder's Fleur De Lis Accents.

Now let's take a look at -


I love the colours against the black. I've been seeing a lot of cards using black with multiple colored stamps lately that just made colour so beautiful. So I thought cutting letters out of coloured cardstock on my Cricut would be almost as wonderful as the beautiful colouring of stamps on black. A more CAS approach to what I saw. I then stamped 'birthday' on the second 'P'. A fun card!

Next is -


a card that allowed for a bow. I kept it small though and sheer so it didn't dominate. I used Spellbinder's Standard Circles Large to emboss into the white cardstock, and then placed the ink resist rose I coloured using Tim Holtz's Scattered Straw, Tattered Rose, and Peeled Paint with an ink blending tool, with dimensionals. I made the notched banner, stamped it and attached it with dimensionals as well. I might try this again using a different Nestabilities shape.

And, for the last card -


I promised myself to do more stamping this year. I like doing it and want to increase my skill at it too. So for this card, I second stamped the background stamp twice. Once one direction, and the second time inverted. Then with the damask stamp over top of it I stamped with all the ink on the stamp. I believe some call this Generation stamping. If I'm wrong, please let me know. This would be a fun card to do as a desk set in all different colours; maybe, even with a monogram on it instead of the birthday greeting.

That's it for this set of cards. Oh, I forgot to mention that these are all A7 cards (5 x 7).

Thank you for stopping by to have a look. Hope you all have fun making your birthday cards.


No comments: